Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Geek & Sundry Vlog Contest Update

Things are going great on the Geek & Sundry vlog contest.

Okay, not so much great as ... much better than a few days ago. I've gone from 27th place in the rankings to 23rd, and am only two spots behind the other science vlog on the list! If we keep up the momentum we're gaining, and possibly get some more exposure, then great!

For background, I have a science vlog that is in the running as a finalist for inclusion on the Geek & Sundry YouTube channel as a regularly recurring slot in their schedule. Twice a month science vlogs! Very awesome.

Want to help? Vote here!

The Last Few Days ... And How You Can Help Humiliate Me

What contributed to the recent rally? I think I had a fairly good showing on the Potential Vlogger Hangouts #6 video (linked below) that I participated in on Sunday afternoon, but ...

Honestly, I watched the 5 Potential Vlogger Hangouts before mine, and pretty much everybody was awesome. I think there were maybe a couple of people who probably didn't gain a lot of supporters, but I've gotta admit that I was really hoping for some people to just really suck and lose all support, and none of them did. Even on subjects that I personally didn't find interesting, I tended to find the contestants very personable, compelling, and likable ... which just makes it all the more difficult to root for their downfall.

Anyway, here's the potential vlogger hangout that I was in, along with Nik & Mike of "Based On" and the video game fashion girl Amanda:



In this Hangout, we were asked for a theme song. I chose "She Blinded Me With Science." So on Monday morning, I was trying to think of a way to spur on a rally over the last week of voting ... and here's what I came up with:

I pledged that if I had 1,000 votes by midnight on July 19, I would record, sing, edit, and post a music video of "She Blinded Me With Science."



And as of right now, we are making progress toward hitting that goal, and I'm pretty sure the promise to humiliate myself has had a lot to do with this.

More Humiliation Needed?

I also just discovered that the voting is going to be extended beyond Friday, over the weekend (and possibly into Monday ... still awaiting clarification on that).

So, here's the question ... does anyone have any tips on techniques that I can implement in an attempt to rally even more votes over the next 5 or so days? Bribes that I can offer? Blackmail I can implement? Anything?

If we hit 1,000 by midnight on July 19 - and we may be on track for that target - then what should come next? My inclination is to offer some other tantalizing reward if we reach 2,000 votes by midnight on Friday.

Any suggestions? The floor is yours!

No comments: