Friday, July 19, 2013

Geek & Sundry Vlog Challenge #2: Battery Licking Fun

Around noon today, I hit 1,000 votes on the Geek & Sundry vlog contest. My science vlog is still around 20th place out of 30 (actually, out of 29, looks like).

(At least) once a day!
(Plus, you can watch the video at that link, too.)

Ten of the vloggers will get spots on the Geek & Sundry vlogger channel line-up. I spent most of the first week of the contest in 27th place, but have had a good rally since Monday, when I put a proposal out there that if we reached 1,000 votes by midnight on Friday, July 19 - that's today - then I'd record, sing, edit, and post a music video of me performing the 1980's classic "She Blinded Me With Science."

Music video coming

My initial thought upon reaching 1,000 votes was to try to record the video tonight and get it up over the weekend, in an attempt to drive more voting with a little bit of viral buzz. But, honestly, I'd like to do a good job with it and not rush things, plus give myself enough time that I can get some friends to show up in the video if they'd like. So the video will be coming ... hopefully early next week. I'm hoping to film over the weekend and have it finished up on Monday, but I'm not willing to commit to it, since I will be trying to use some video editing techniques that are new to me.

Second Challenge

In the meantime, to keep everyone motivated, I have a second offer to put out there:  If my votes reach 1,500 by the end of the contest on Monday (1:00 pm Eastern/10:00 am Pacific) then ...

I will film a video of me licking a 9-volt battery. 

If anyone's concerned that this is dangerous ... it is, but only a very little bit. I got the idea for this one from Gever Tulley's 50 Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do).

So stay motivated. Keep voting. Spread the word. If you do, then I promise ... I will do something stupid and mildly discomforting.

No comments: