Sunday, June 10, 2001

Okay, the site seems to be working okay with my new additions, so I can take time to ramble a bit.

On Serendipity
Very strange things occur in the world, and I just got hit with one of them. When I was visiting my family a few months back, I ran into a guy I had gone to high school with in a bar. He told me that one of my old friends (for anonymity he will be referred to as JW) was up in Detroit. He was roommates with a girl that we'd also gone to school with (TS).

Intrigued by this, I began trying to track this person down -- phonebooks, online directories, and the like, but I couldn't find his name. I even used classmates.com, finding JW and sending an e-mail, but I hadn't gotten a reply yet.

Then I get an e-mail on Friday from a college friend (AR), who is in med school in Indianapolis. He tells me that he is going to be up in Michigan, visiting his girlfriend. His girlfriend, as it turns out, is TS and so he's staying at TS & JW's place.

Life is a funny thing... Revel in these strange situations and make the most of them...

On My Writing
I've recently joined an online critique group, called Critters. Thus far, the two stories that have gone through have been received very well. I'm very hopeful, although some go over the top -- any comparisons to Stephen King or Isaac Asimov or J.R.R. Tolkien in such a group are sure signs that they're probably exaggerating a bit, or have a loose grip on reality.

But the good news is that it means I'm getting an idea what direction to take revisions. I've got about 5 stories that will enter the rounds for publication right after my move in August. (Can't send them now, or I wouldn't be assured of getting a response before the move.)

On Work
Setting out now to grade the finals from the one class I've given them to. Then I have to make up the finals for another 2 classes. All in all, it'll be a busy day with that.

No comments: